Monday, November 13, 2017

Share the Comforter


I can remember as a little girl sharing a bed with my sister.  On those chilly nights, it was quite a task to have enough of the comforter to cover us both and be warn.  She'd pull it to her side, then I'd pull it to my side.  You see, I loved to have it pulled just over my shoulders and sort of tucked under my body like a sleeping bag.  It seemed just when I'd settle into my cocoon-like snuggle, she'd pull the comforter to her side.  It was an all-night task to balance having enough of the comforter to snuggle myself in, yet have enough to cover her and keep her from pulling the majority in her direction.  Sharing the comforter was no easy task.  

Now, as an adult, I have the opportunity to share a different comforter.  In 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 Paul writes to Corinth, Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ. If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in you patient endurance of the same sufferings we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that just as you share in our sufferings, so also you share in our comfort.

When I read this, verse 4 really stood out to me - "who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God."  I think of some of life's trials that have nearly brought me to my knees.  Those dark days that felt like 24-hour nights.  Those times when I didn't think I'd have enough to cover me, comfort me, and get me through the darkness.  Those moments when I felt cold and alone with no sign of daybreak.  I look back and know that it was only by the Comforter's grace that I made it though.  It was during those very times that His comfort gently wrapped around me like a warm blanket until the cold, dark night had passed.

So next time you meet someone who is struggling, particularly in an area where you have struggled and overcome, please remember to share the Comforter.  Let them know that the "God of all comfort" (v.3) will comfort them as He comforted you.  Remind them that the Comforter abides with them forever.  (John 14:16)  

Just like we shared the comforter as kids, we must share the Comforter as adults.  Only this time, He's more than enough to share.

Love Always,
Shy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit my new website for updated posts. https://lovealwaysshy.com/ Thank you! Shy