Thursday, November 9, 2017

The Power of a Parent's Words

My son absolutely loves, loves, loves music!  He would keep his earbuds in his ears 24/7, if I’d let him.  Even as a little guy, he loved to sing.  Well, it so happens that I love, love, love, poetry, and in my eyes, songs are poetry.  So consequently, I look at both my and my son's passions as one in the same.  So one day I had a bright idea.  Actually, it was a God idea.  I brought home a brand new leather journal and gave it to my son with the following instructions:

"Write down words that describe you.  Random words from 'curly hair' to 'sneakers' to 'athletic' to 'roast'.  (Yes, roast! This kid loves a good roast!)  Let these words trigger ideas of what to write about that are authentic to who you are."

A few days later, my son come to me with journal in hand and said, "Look at all these words I've written." as he turns several pages.  "And I've written a song based on these words."

I had to really contain my excitement as not to appear too excited and freak him out, but I was SUPER excited at how this simple journal and my "suggestion" pulled out a talent that I could see inside of him all along.  It was such a "WOW" moment for me.

I am reminded of John 2:1-12 which tells the story of Jesus and his mother, Mary, attending a wedding. When the wedding ran out of wine, Mary said to Jesus, "They have no more wine."  Jesus then says to his mom "Woman why do you involve me?  My hour has not yet come."  I'm sure Jesus was thinking, "Why is she putting me on the spot?  It's not miracle time yet.  I just want to enjoy the wedding like everyone else."  But his mother knew he was not like everyone else.  She knew her son was fully equipped and capable of changing the course of this event and turning water into wine, so her next words were to the servants saying "Do whatever he tells you."  She saw what was in him and with her very words, she drew it out of him.

Based on his mother's words, Jesus steps into his first miracle.  He tells the servants to fill the pots with water, draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.  The master of the banquet tasted and declared it the best wine served at the wedding!

What gift or talent do you see in your child that needs to be unlocked by your words?  Perhaps they've never before done what you see, but you know it's in them.  Don't let the past or current circumstances keep you from speaking words of encouragement into your child's potential.  Speak love.  Speak blessings.  Speak encouragement.  Speak purpose.  Let Mary's parental ESP (Extraordinarily Special Parenting) be your example of letting your words be the key to unlocking your child's potential.  Ask God to give you wisdom in speaking words that will encourage the fulfillment of your child's purpose on earth, as it is in heaven.

Love Always,

Shy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit my new website for updated posts. https://lovealwaysshy.com/ Thank you! Shy