Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Take a Knee

Being the California girl that I am, I admit I had a lot to learn when I first moved to the Southeast.  I had to quickly shift my priorities from: 
(1) God
(2) family
(3) beach
(4) avocados 

to the new order of:
(1) God
(2) family
(3) football
(4) sweet tea  

The problem was I didn't grow up in a home where the TV was ever set to sports channels, so I knew very little about football.  But in the South, I quickly learned that very few things trump a football game.  So, it became clear that I had some things to learn.

Over the last few years, I've not only come to understand and appreciate the game, but I've also worked for an NFL team, found myself on the sideline at several games, and even attended a Super Bowl game.  I've come a long way!  In the process, not only did I learn how to keep up with what was happening on the field, but I also learned protocol.  For example, I learned that it is protocol for all the players to "take a knee" when a player on the field is injured.  Not only do the teammates of the injured player take a knee, but both teams take a knee as a sign of respect and support.  They stay on their knees until the player either gets up on his own or he's taken off the field for further treatment.

Being the sensitive person that I am, this really hit home for me.  "Taking a knee" is something we should carry into our personal lives.  There are times when we have a loved one who is injured on the playing field of life and they are hurting.  Sometimes physical healing is needed, while other times it may be an emotional or spiritual healing needed.  Whatever the need, we should take a knee in prayer to support those who are hurting.  I like the way the Message bible translates James 5:16 - "pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed."  Translation - Take a knee!  

As a sign of love and support, let your actions and posture send a very clear message:

"I love and support you."  Take a knee!

"I stand in solidarity with you."  Take a knee!

"We might not even have on the same team jersey, but you have my support."  Take a knee!

"Until you are up, I will kneel!"  Take a knee!

Most importantly, pray until our loved one is whole and healed!  TAKE A KNEE!

Family and friends, if I've learned nothing else from football, I've learned the value and importance of taking a knee!


Love Always,
Shy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit my new website for updated posts. https://lovealwaysshy.com/ Thank you! Shy