Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Love (verb)

It was one of those seasons in life where my beautiful friend was going through a very tough time - a season that was cold and dark without any sign of daybreak.  She couldn't even see the light of the moon in what was her darkest night.  Love was the only thing that would bring her light in the midst of this dark time.  Ironically, even though she felt alone in the darkness, she knew her friends and family loved her.  As one of her dear friends, I knew that knowing I loved her would not be enough.  I knew love required something of me.  It wouldn't be enough to just say "I love you."  It wouldn't even be enough to just say "I'm praying for you."  In this situation, I knew I couldn't just say love, but I had to do love.

Throughout the years, I never considered love to be a noun, because I don't consider it to be a "thing".  I've always considered it to be a verb, because it requires action.  So when Jesus told us He loves us, He didn't just say it, then go fishing.  He did love.  He healed, provided, encouraged, protected, and ultimately, died for us.  He really LOVED (verb) us!

In Matthew 22:37-39, Jesus gave us two commandments:
1. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind
2. Love your neighbor as yourself

Sounds easy enough, right?  But how exactly do you love your neighbor?  Good question!  You love your neighbor (which can be anyone) by providing a need where there is a void - offering a kind word to the brokenhearted, extending compassion to the hurting, serving where help is needed, giving your time to the one who is lonely, offering support and understanding instead of judgement to the one who already feels condemned, and so many other ways.  Bob Goff put it best in the title of his book "Love Does", because the fact of the matter is...love does!

When I think of what Jesus meant when He said I should love my neighbor, I know He didn't just mean love (noun) my neighbor, rather love (verb) my neighbor.  So let's take it from Jesus and get busy loving.  Look around and ask yourself "What does love require of me?"


Love Always,
Shy

http://lovealwaysshy.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit my new website for updated posts. https://lovealwaysshy.com/ Thank you! Shy