Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Take the Trash Out

Am I the only one who surveys the neighbors trash as I'm driving out of the neighborhood on trash pick-up day?  I mean I'm like, "Gosh, they have a lot of trash."  "Ooh, they got a new TV."  "Wow, they drink a lot of juice in that house with all those recycle bottles."  And on and on...  Is my behavior even normal?  I guess that's why I'm also conscious about what I set out on trash pick-up day.  Some things I shove to the bottom of the bin - no need to put all my business out there!  The thoughts that go through my head...

I guess that's why some of us (and by "some of us", I mean me) would rather hide some of our trash (issues) rather than set it out.  If we don't set it out, we think no one will see it and know about our stuff.  The problem with that is trash will begin to stink after a while.  Trash in one room will eventually stink up the entire house.  Have you ever walked through your house wondering where a particular smell was coming from?  In the same way, have you ever wondered why you couldn't get one area of your life together only to find the trash in another area of your life was stinking up everything?

Psalm 51:10 says, "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit in me."  For some reason the word "create" (clean heart) makes me think my heart wasn't so clean before I accepted the Lord into it.  And the word "renew" (right spirit) leads me to believe that my spirit might have been a little "unrighteous" since I needed him to renew a "right" spirit in me.  I've come to learn that no amount of Febreze can cover up stinky trash.  Neither can a pretty dress, a nice suit, a big house or a big smile.  The stinky stuff will always smell through.  (Ignore those commercials you've seen!  The sweet cover-up smell will only lasts a few seconds before the stench smells through.)   

This might be a silly thing, but I am now reminded each time I take the trash out to search my heart and spirit to empty and renew anything that could possibly stink up my life.  My advice to you and myself is that we search our hearts on a regular basis and take the trash out. 


Love Always,
Shy


http://lovealwaysshy.blogspot.com/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lovealwaysshy/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit my new website for updated posts. https://lovealwaysshy.com/ Thank you! Shy