Wednesday, October 10, 2018

I've been there!

I heard someone mention a place they were planning to visit for vacation.  I got so excited and said, "I've been there!"  I went on to recommend certain places of interest, great restaurants and so many wonderful things there were to appreciate there.  I just knew how they would feel being there, because "I've been there".

Unfortunately, there are also other places I've been in life that weren't so enjoyable and when I see people in those places, my reaction is different, yet the same.  Sometimes the reaction is more along the lines of a hug and a whisper, "I've been there."

Colossians 3:12-14 says, "Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience...forgive...And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."  It can sometimes be uncomfortable and humbling to acknowledge some of our pitfalls, but think of how great of a witness you can be to someone who feels like they are at the end of their rope.  Of course there are experiences and events in our lives that we're not too proud of.  Maybe it's not something you want to talk about at all.  But there are times where your story is just the medicine to heal someone else's pain.

I can tell you first hand how comforting it is when I am down and someone shares a story of how they overcame the very thing I'm struggling with.  It strengthens my faith and reminds me to hold onto God's promises.  At times, we all need to be reminded that we're not alone, we're not the only person this has happened to, we're certainly not forgotten and, most importantly, we are loved.  

So the next time you see someone who's in a "not so great" place in life to which you can relate, please don't let them suffer alone.  Clothe yourself in compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience, bind them together with love and let them know, "I've been there."


Love Always,
Shy

http://lovealwaysshy.blogspot.com/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lovealwaysshy/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit my new website for updated posts. https://lovealwaysshy.com/ Thank you! Shy