Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Love Requirements


We’ve all been in situations where our emotions have grabbed the wheel and driven us completely into a ditch. Or maybe you’re not as bad as I am so perhaps you simply chose to ignore a situation that warranted a response. Perhaps tradition, routine, habit or other priorities simply trumped the appropriate response to an issue.

Well, there I was dealing with an issue that I would have chosen to ignore for my own peace sake when I remembered a simple question a minister challenged the audience to ask themselves before responding to any situation. The question was simply “What does love require of me?”

If you're a follower of Jesus, it's a very easy question to ask.  I must admit that although I haven't always gotten it right, the pause and the question have certainly made the appropriate response obvious.  I've found that love loosens our grip to be right, to win or to control.  It helps us to grab hold of Jesus's words in Matthew 22:37-39 - “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself.”  

Love makes the right decision obvious, provides appropriate answers to tough questions and throws regret right out the window.

I’d like to challenge you, whether it be a situation with your family, a friend, a neighbor or even a stranger, pause and ask yourself the question “What does love require of me?” before responding.  I guarantee the appropriate response will become obvious and not only will your human relationships change, but so will your relationship with Christ. I have a feeling that that’s the very question Jesus asked before dying for you and for me.  After all, love never fails.


1 Corinthians 13 - 4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. 

Love Always,
Shy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit my new website for updated posts. https://lovealwaysshy.com/ Thank you! Shy