Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Growing

When I was a growing kid, I used to think my clothes were shrinking. I'd put on a dress that suddenly seemed too short or too tight.  As I pointed it out to my mother, I'd ask if my clothes were shrinking.  She'd laugh and jokingly tell me, yes they were.  It never crossed my mind that my clothes were the same size and that I was actually growing. I only knew it was time to get rid of some things because they no longer fit me.  It was time for something that fit the new me.

As an adult, I am reminded of that childhood situation as I reflect on various areas of my life.  Perhaps you can relate.  Have you ever found yourself unable to reconcile why some relationships, jobs or activities that used to fit have now become too uncomfortable to be in?  Or perhaps you found yourself trying to stretch something to make it fit your life when in reality you'd simply outgrown it?

I was reminded of a quote by Nelson Mandela when I had an “AHA” moment - "There's nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered."  It dawned on me that perhaps I had grown out of some things that used to fit not because they had changed, but because I had changed.

In 1 Corinthians 13:11, Paul says "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.  When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me."  It’s clear that Paul understood the concept of growing beyond what used to fit.

As God grows us in various areas of our lives and moves us into new stages and phases of our purpose, we become uncomfortable in the old "garments".  Many times the discomfort is a way to get us to move to the next level of what God has for us.  Acknowledge the discomfort as a catalyst to let go of the past and embrace the new.  Trust God's plan as He tailors new garments fit for the places He is taking you.


God will perfect that which concerns me. Psalms 138:8


Love Always,
Shy

http://lovealwaysshy.blogspot.com/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lovealwaysshy/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit my new website for updated posts. https://lovealwaysshy.com/ Thank you! Shy