Monday, December 18, 2017

Who are you entertaining this holiday season?

I can remember several years ago watching a TV program where Tyra Banks went undercover as a homeless person.  She sat on the streets, begged for money, washed up in gas station bathrooms, and lived as a homeless person would. Of all the things she shared in her experience, one thing she said really stuck with me through all these years.  She said people passing by would not make eye contact with her.  It was like if they didn't look, she didn't exist. Wow!  That really hurt to hear.  Can you imagine a world where people avoided eye contact with you?  A world where you questioned if you were seen?  A world where you doubted if you mattered at all?

Ever since I was a child, I can remember my mom telling us, "Be aware how you entertain strangers, because you may be entertaining an angel unaware" (Hebrews 13:2). That has always stuck in my mind.  I admit, sometimes we may not know what to say or what to do, but a simple, kind gesture of eye contact and a smile can be a priceless gift of which we may never know the value.

In Matthew 25:35-36 Jesus says,
"I was hungry and you gave me something to eat,
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, 
I was a stranger and you invited me in,
I needed clothes and you clothed me, 
I was sick and you looked after me, 
I was in prison and you came to visit me."  
He goes on to say in verse 40, "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

During this holiday season (and every season), let us remember to extend ourselves in love, as we never know, we may be entertaining an angel unaware.


Love Always,
Shy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit my new website for updated posts. https://lovealwaysshy.com/ Thank you! Shy