Tuesday, March 13, 2018

The Whisper

I was tossing and turning at 3:00 a.m.  Was it the two sloppy joes I'd eaten the night before that had me awake?  Okay, it was three sloppy joes, but that's not the point.  I couldn't get comfortable, so I finally got up at 3:30 and went downstairs to sit in my "listening chair".  It's the chair I sit in to get quiet and close enough to God to hear a whisper.  When I walked into the room, I was reminded of Eli's advice to Samuel when he heard the voice of the Lord calling him (1 Samuel 3).  In verse 9, Eli tells Samuel "if he calls you, say 'speak Lord, for your servant is listening'".  It was at that moment when I knew it was more than a sloppy joe that had me awake.  This was intentional.

I knew this was a "lay my head in the lap of God and just listen" moment.  I knew this was a moment when His words would soothe my spirit, slow my racing thoughts and just whisper "I'm here".  Have you ever had one of those moments when you may not have even been able to make out the words, but you understood the message?  That moment when you knew you could just drop your end of the rope to just be.

Sometimes that's all God wants us to do - just be.  Be still.  Be quiet.  Be with Him.  Sometimes there's no grand revelation, "just being" with Him is enough.  Other times, answers come through peace.  Sometimes next steps come through being still.  Sometimes the message comes through silence.  But most importantly, the whisper in our spirits is best heard when we get close enough to hear it.  Shhhhh....  Lean into the whisper.

I reread 1 Samuel 3 and this time what really stood out to me in verse 10 was "the Lord came and stood there" the third time He called to Samuel.  What?  Like stood there?  When the Lord comes and stands there 1) He has a message for you and, 2) He's close enough for you to hear a whisper.  Listen!  

He's standing there because He has a message for you.  Don't worry about how He will speak.  He speaks to us in many different ways.  All we have to do is open our hearts, minds and spirits and say, "speak, for your servant is listening" and watch Him whisper in a way that your heart understands.  

Love Always,
Shy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit my new website for updated posts. https://lovealwaysshy.com/ Thank you! Shy