Monday, March 26, 2018

Who's at the door?

When I was a little girl, I had a book of bible stories with colorful pictures.  Many days, I would sit quietly and thumb through that book and look at the pictures.  There was one picture that stood out to me more than the others.  It was a picture of Jesus standing on the outside of a door knocking with the caption, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock."  I would stare at that picture for a long time.  I must admit, my first thought was a little scary, like "Yikes! What in the world is Jesus doing at the door?"  

On the other hand, I was so intrigued at the possibility of Jesus standing at the door knocking that I would wonder what I would do if He was literally standing at my door.  Would I let Him in?  Would I feel unprepared for such an important guest?  Would I just get really quiet and hope He thinks I'm not home?  Why is He even here?  What does He want?  Should I open the door?  Would I get in trouble for opening the door?  Technically, He's not a stranger...  The questions were endless for my 7-year-old mind as I stared at this beautiful and powerful image.

Amazingly, many years later, I can still see that picture very vividly in my mind.  It has stuck with me over the years.  And the question of "what would I have to do to be prepared to open the door, should Jesus stop by?" has lingered in my mind.  Wow!  Huge, right?

The fact of the matter is, I don't have to do anything.  Jesus is not an inspector showing up with a clipboard.  He's not stopping by to grade my performance and give me a list of opportunities for improvement. The fact of the matter is, He's stopping by to comfort me when I am hurting (2 Corinthians 1:3-4).  He's stopping by to provide for me when I am in need (Luke 12:22-24).  He's stopping by to be a friend when I am lonely (John 15:13-15).  He's stopping by to give me peace when I am in the midst of a storm (John 14:27).  He's stopping by to love me in my most unlovable moments (1 John 4:16).

As impactful as that picture was as a child, I now understand as an adult how much of a gift it is to have Jesus find me important enough to stand at my door and knock.  He's not there to ask for anything, but to BE all that I need.  

Decades later, I now know what I would do if He were at my door, because I do it everyday...  I simply swing the door of my heart open and say "Come in!  I'm so glad you're here!"

Love Always,
Shy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit my new website for updated posts. https://lovealwaysshy.com/ Thank you! Shy