Monday, April 2, 2018

The Scar

"Is that a run in your pantyhose on your knee?" she asked with a quizzical look on her face.

Confused, I looked down at my knee to see what she was referring to.  Realizing it was the scar on my knee she was looking at, I replied, "Oh, no that's a scar I got from falling off a bike when I was a kid"

Fast forward 25 years, I've made it a point to only wear pants or dresses that come below the knee.  That incident made me super sensitive about my scar, so I've always hid it.  In my mind, if people saw my scar, they wouldn't see me - they'd only see my scar.  Plus, I'd be reminded of the fall.  Oddly, I'd only remember the "falling down" part, but not the "getting up" part.  Why is that?  Why do we remember the fall more than the getting up?  And why do we hide the scars after we've long since overcome the fall and gotten up?

There's a beautiful and talented chef by the name of Padma Lakshmi.  If you've heard of her, you may know about the 7" scar on her arm from a car accident she was in when she was 14.  Unlike me, she not only shows off her scar by wearing sleeveless dresses and short sleeve tops, but, at times, she actually puts glitter on it and wears it like an accessory!  Who does that to a scar?  Padma, that's who.  I was so impressed when I first saw her do this.  I was thinking, "You mean, you don't hide your scars?"  After all, I've spent years hiding scars.  Well, she's been quoted as saying, "It reminds me that I can survive my pain."  Wow!  She completely set me free with this!  Sounds like she's more focused on the "getting up" part. 

I'm not recommending you run out and share your story and worse scars with everyone, because I realize not everyone will be able to handle your story.  But, what I am saying is whether they are physical or emotional scars, it's not our falling down that should get the spotlight, "but thanks be to God who always causes us to triumph in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Him"! (2 Cor. 2:14)  What an opportunity to spread the fragrance of the knowledge of Him when we bare our scars.  What an opportunity to show others that we are not our scars, but our scars are a sign that He has caused us to be triumphant!  

Scars...  We all have them.  We can choose to hide them or we can use them as an opportunity to give thanks to the one who caused us to triumph. So the next time you see me, don't be surprised if my scar baring knee is exposed.  Don't think it's because I'm being sassy.  It might just be my opportunity to share the fragrance of the knowledge of Him who caused me to triumph!

Love Always,

Shy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit my new website for updated posts. https://lovealwaysshy.com/ Thank you! Shy