Thursday, April 12, 2018

What if?

There I was, feeling so stressed over a particular situation.  All the worse possible outcomes were floating around in my brain like storm clouds.  Of course there were positive outcome options in the realm of possibilities, but like the sun, the storm clouds blocked their light.  So, I did what most of us do when the storm is passing - I checked the weather.  I needed some encouragement that the sun would shine again, so I called my "sunshine" friend.  You know that one friend who can point out the tiny rays of sun in a storm?  That one friend who if you called them and told them you broke your toe, they would reply "Thank God you have 9 more."  Yes, that friend...  I needed someone to remind me that there are blue skies ahead.

In the middle of my moaning about all that was wrong, he said something that really changed my entire posture (literally!).  He said "How would you act if you knew everything was going to be alright?"  Wow!  Suddenly, my back straightened up, my shoulders felt lighter, my head came out of a fog and I began to think, "What if God really is on my side?", "What if things really are working for my good?", "What if things truly are going to be okay according to God's plan?".  It was amazing how all of my "what ifs" changed from storm clouds to peace in the storm.  

It's amazing how when things are going well, we say "God is on my side", but we quickly forget that fact when we have a rainy day.  Let me remind you, GOD NEVER CHANGES SIDES!  Just as He was there as His son hung on the cross, He is there for us when we are being persecuted by our situations and thoughts.  He's ALWAYS on our side!  Sometimes, it's not about Him changing our storm, rather about Him changing us.

Your faith and your thoughts are powerful.  Paul writes in Philippians 4:6-7 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

So the next time you are going through a storm, stay connected to God through prayer and thanksgiving and change your "what ifs" to these questions: "What if God really is on my side?"  "What if He really does have a plan for my life?"  "What if things really are working out for my good?"  Then watch the peace of God guard your heart and mind beyond all understanding.  What if?


Love Always,
Shy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please visit my new website for updated posts. https://lovealwaysshy.com/ Thank you! Shy